A love tarot spread is any formation of cards that focus around the theme of love. There are so many tarot spreads available in this topic because there is such a variety of love we experience.
Below we have spreads that focus on attracting romantic love for single people, some that help a relationship stay strong and healthy, and even spreads that help restore a broken heart.
In this article we have compiled the most popular love tarot spreads that every tarot reader should try in their tarot journey.
How To Use A Love Tarot Spread
Using a love tarot spread is similar to using other tarot spreads however there are some differences to be aware of when interpreting tarot cards specifically for love readings.
At first proceed in the usual way for any tarot spread: gather your cards and shuffle them as you ask each question in order. Place the cards down in the formation described in the spread.
Pay careful attention to any suits or numbers that repeat throughout the spread as this shows a strong theme in our lives at this time. Also remember that in all tarot spreads any major arcana cards present are the most important as they signify an answer that could have the most impact if we implement its advice.
It is important to take time to rest after performing any tarot spreads (to ground and center) but especially with love spreads because these focus heavily on our emotions and can leave us drained. We must also be careful how many love tarot spreads we do because it can dilute and confuse the answers we receive.
It is okay to ask different kinds of love tarot readings like for example a platonic love one and then a romantic spread but we should make sure not to perform the exact same type of spread too often.
How Love Spreads Differ
In love tarot spreads some cards are interpreted a little differently. For example any cards with love or emotional themes like the suit of Cups or The Lovers card are more significant when received in love readings.
Another important distinction with love readings is noting if we receive any court cards. We must pay special attention to these because court cards in tarot represent real people who share the attributes of that particular card.
Court cards are read un-gendered so a Queen tarot card could refer to a man and a Knight or King could represent a woman and vice versa. It is more important to pay attention to the type of traits being discussed in the court cards.
It is also a very good sign to see a King and Queen together in a love tarot spread. When this occurs it means there is potential for a serious relationship. If the suits do not match for example the King of Wands and the Queen of Pentacles this can refer to a marriage or the joining of two families.
If the suits do match for example receiving both the King and Queen of Cups in a love tarot spread then it refers to finding one’s soul mate or twin flame.
1. In His/Her/Their Feelings Love Tarot Spread
This spread helps us understand the perspective of our significant others or potential lovers. Please note that this spread and tarot in general should never be used to abuse the privacy or overstep the boundaries of others.
This love spread allows us space to view everything our partner has already shared with us so we can view it as a whole and make connections to understand their perspective and opinions better.
- Take a card from your deck that symbolizes your significant other or potential lover and place it face up here. If you know them well then choose any of the court cards that best suits them. If you do not know them well yet then taking The Knight or King of Cups will work well. Please remember that all tarot cards are used un-gendered so you can use any court card regardless of the gender of your spouse.
- How do they feel about ___? (fill in the blanks with the particulars of your situation for example ‘taking this relationship to the next level.’)
- What reservations do they have about ___?
- What past experiences have they shared with me which I should consider with great care when discussing ___?
- What can I do to prepare for an open and honest conversation about ___?
- How can I support them when they are ready to discuss ___?
2. Invite Romantic Love Tarot Spread
This spread gives us practical advice so we can find a romantic connection. It can also guide us in the difficult stage of the beginning of a new relationship where we may find it hard to open up and be ourselves around a new lover.
Finally it helps us spot a potential partner and gives us clarity about the traits we value and what we are looking for in a lover.
- What values do I appreciate when I see them in action in other people?
- What personality traits do the people I admire and respect have in common?
- What weaknesses do I notice in myself?
- Could someone who exhibits the opposite of my weakness help or guide me?
- Opposites attract, what would be my opposite?
- Where am I hiding or limiting myself?
- How can I be more open and vulnerable in new relationships?
- What advice should I remember when seeking a new connection?
3. Protect This Love Tarot Spread
Sometimes in life our relationships can get lost or forgotten in the busyness of our daily routine. This tarot spread guides us to create a mental habit that reminds us to value our loved ones.
It gives practical steps that help to keep love strong in our currently established relationships. This can be used for platonic relationships with friends and family but also for romantic partners too.
- Who haven’t I heard from in a while/who is quiet or in the background of my life? (This could be more than 1 person so if multiple cards fall out at anytime during this spread place them all in this position.)
- There are people in my life that are in a good place and there are some who need help. How can I reach out to the ones who need me most?
- Who needs me right now but might find it difficult to reach out?
- What small action can I take to show my love to others?
- How can I find more time for my loved ones?
- What prevents me from expressing the love I feel?
4. Rekindle The Fire Love Tarot Spread
This love tarot spread is used to reignite love within a long term relationship. However this is only suitable for healthy and functioning couplings that require a little boost.
Tarot spreads should never be used in toxic or harmful relationships and tarot in general is not a replacement for therapy, medical or expert guidance.
- What first attracted me to my partner X years/months ago?
- What have I learned about them in our time together?
- What hobbies or activities did we used to do and could reestablish?
- What new activities have we always wanted to do together?
- How do we make time for these new activities?
- What are we missing in our daily lives that can bring us closer together?
- What are 3 traits or values I love in my partner? (Take 3 cards and place them all in this position.)
5. Healing Heart Love Tarot Spread
Of course love is not always sweet and gentle. Sometimes love can break our hearts. This tarot spread gives us space to feel our emotions fully so we can begin to process them.
In time we can guide ourselves through healing our broken heart and learning to love again.
- What is the best action I can take right now to support myself through this healing?
- What am I missing in life which I can provide for myself instead of relying on someone else?
- What habits or parts of my life need to change in order to see healing?
- What is holding me back from loving again?
- What have I learned from my heartbreak/what is my broken heart asking from me?
- What did the relationship/situation teach me that I can use in future relationships?
- What do I have to look forward to/what has been made possible in my future because of this break/change?
6. Unrequited Love Tarot Spread
In a perfect world we are freely able to express our love and see it enjoyed and reciprocated by our heart’s desire. But sometimes we may be deeply in love with someone who does not return our feelings.
This love tarot spread allows us the chance to process our emotions and begin the task of moving on after the sting of unrequited love or romantic rejection.
- What can I do to temporarily exorcise the emotions I feel in a healthy way?
- Am I able to remain friends with this person or should I make a clean break?
- Is it possible I may have projected my love unfairly on someone and objectified/idealized them in my mind?
- What is the immediate action I should take to overcome my unrequited love? (The advice of this card is to be followed immediately for a few weeks.)
- What is the short term action I should take to continue healing from unrequited love? (The advice of this card is to be followed from a few weeks to a few months.)
- What is the long term action I should take to overcome my unrequited love once and for all? (The advice from this card is to be followed from a few months to a few years.)
7. My Valentine Love Tarot Spread
This spread gets us in the mood for romance. It is very easy to let relationships ease into the background when life takes over and for many couples Valentine’s day feels more like an obligation.
But having one day of the year dedicated to expressing love can be an excellent reminder to slow down and show real affection to our romantic partner.
This spread gives us creative ideas for gifts and experiences we can share with our partners that don’t rely on the tired cliches of chocolates and flowers.
- The Gift: Instead of flowers my love likes? (Look at the visual symbols and colors within the card’s art as well as its meaning for gift clues.)
- The Food: Instead of chocolates my partner enjoys? (Use association and memory with this card to remember favorite restaurants or foods you both enjoyed in the past.)
- The Experience: Forget what is popular. What is an adventure we have always wanted to try?
- The Intent: How is our relationship special and unique?
- The Words: What is important for me to remember about my partner, particularly on this day?
- The Heart: How can we turn this day from an obligation into an event that truly celebrates our love?
8. Accepting Love Tarot Spread
Many of us crave love and affection but we inadvertently push it away. This is often because though we may consciously desire love, subconsciously we feel unworthy of actually accepting it.
People can only love us as much as we let them. This causes a negative spiral of emotions and actions that can lead to extreme loneliness and low self-esteem.
This spread has been created as a tool for readers to learn how to accept love and feel truly deserving of it.
- Even though I feel lonely I do have people around me. Who are they? (If multiple cards fall out at any time whilst creating this spread place the all of the extra cards in this position. Each card represents a different person in our lives.)
- How can I open up to them?
- What positive things do they wish I could see about myself?
- How can I be more forgiving of myself?
- What is preventing me from accepting the love others give?
- What is stopping me from expressing the love I feel?
9. Is This Lust Or Love? Tarot Spread
Love and lust have been mistaken for one another countless times throughout history. Each of these emotions are incredibly strong and it is easy to lose ourselves in them.
This love tarot spread gives us a space to slow down and analyze our emotions. This may be a spread that we revisit over time because love and lust can often intermingle and can change overtime as the relationship develops.
Therefore we may require multiple sessions a few times a month to slowly detangle our thoughts. In this case it would be a good idea to write down the results so we can see how our responses/emotions are changing over time.
- Do I have a habit of losing myself in the thrill of someone new?
- Does this relationship in the way it currently functions serve me fully?
- Is it possible I am distracting myself with physical touch or intimacy to avoid a difficult situation in my own life?
- How well do I actually know this person and how much might I have inserted my own ideal/projection onto them?
- Do I know and agree with their values, morals and views?
- Do I know their future goals/plans and do they align with mine?
- How do I feel about this person immediately after intimacy and does this change/lessen over time?
- If I remove the physical intimacy, does what remains of this relationship serve me?
10. Long Distance Lover Tarot Spread
Living long distance from our partners can strain the relationship. This spread guides us with practical advice to keep the love strong even when it is stretched over miles.
It also allows us to check our emotions and make sure the relationship is truly supporting each person as an individual and as a couple.
- What are the hidden perks of our long distance relationship?
- How can we make time for the logistics of our schedules/time differences in a way that supports us both?
- What am I sacrificing for this relationship and is it a price I am willing to pay?
- Does this relationship align with my goals as an individual? (For example my career or where I want to live.)
- Does this relationship support our plans as a couple? (For example having children or buying a home.)
- Is there a new option available or an old one we might have missed that could reduce the distance/strain?
- What can I do to support myself as an individual in a long distance relationship?
- What does my partner need from me/what support can I give them from afar?
11. The Shadows Of Love Tarot Spread
Love is beautiful and pure. Or is it? Love is the most powerful emotion we can experience and with it comes the capacity to open our hearts and break them.
In this spread we discover our fears surrounding love and how we respond to the darker side of love.
- What is my biggest insecurity about love?
- How does this prevent me accepting and giving love?
- What can I do to heal this insecurity?
- What trauma or fears do I carry within me surrounding love?
- How do they affect my life and relationships?
- How would I feel if these were healed?
- What must I do to heal my love traumas?